Transfer to Second Year from Another McMaster Program
This information is for McMaster students in another program who are interested in transferring to the second year of the business program (Honours Commerce).
The commerce program can only accept a limited number of students each year. Applications will only be assessed if all the requirements for your desired program selection have been completed. If you do not currently meet the requirements to internally transfer, you may complete any outstanding requirements in the Spring/Summer term. You are also permitted to repeat or updated coursework in Spring/Summer term to meet the requirements for transfer.
Students applying for internal transfer are not granted special permission to enroll into Level 2 Honours Commerce courses during the Spring/Summer term. Internal transfer is only permitted for the Fall term.
To be considered, you must meet the following criteria.
- You must have completed 24 – 30 units during the fall and winter semesters (September to April). Spring/Summer courses or courses completed on a Letter of Permission are accepted.
- Your cumulative GPA must be at least a minimum of 6.0 (C+) which will include all credits completed to date. Attainment of a cumulative GPA of 6.0 (C+) does not guarantee internal transfer.
- You must have completed the following courses:
- Economics 1B03
- Economics 1BB3
- Commerce 1AA3
- Commerce 1BA3
- 3 units from:
- Math 1M03
- Math 1A03
- Math 1LS3
- Math 1X03
- Math 1ZA3
- 3 units from either:
- Math 1F03, if you did not receive credit in Ontario high school Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U) or the equivalent, or
- Math 1K03 (with a grade of at least B-), if you did not receive credit in Ontario high school Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U) or the equivalent
- 3 units from:
- Stats 1L03, if you did not receive credit in Ontario high school Mathematics of Data Management U (MDM4U) or the equivalent
We will accept transfers for students who submitted a P/NC Grade Change for any of the above completed courses.
High School math courses can be completed at McMaster or through an online virtual High School:
Any student choosing this option or any course work completed outside of McMaster on a Letter of Permission (LOP) must submit an official transcript to the Student Experience Office (DSB 112) or by email to email@example.com no later than Friday, August 7, 2020. Applications will not be assessed until all requirements are met.
If you do not qualify for a transfer you may want to consider a Minor in Business. The Academic Advisors for your current program will be able to provide you with more information.
If you are currently registered in another McMaster program, you can apply for an internal transfer to Commerce 2 in Mosaic during Program Selection in April. You must select “Honours Commerce” as one of the programs to which you’d like to transfer.
To find the Program Selection Tool in Mosaic search Student Centre > My Academics > Program/Plan/Subplan Selection.
The deadline to apply for a transfer from another McMaster program is April 30, 2020. If you are applying from a level 2 or 3 McMaster program, or if the program selection tool is not available to you, you must submit a hard copy Program Application Form to DSB 112.
You will be able to view the status of your application at the beginning of June in your Mosaic. Students who are approved to complete course work in the Spring/Summer Session will not be assessed until all course work is completed.
You will be notified of our decision on your grade report at the end of May.
If your transfer to Commerce II is accepted, you may be eligible for up to 60 units of transfer credit (maximum).