Transfer to First Year from Another McMaster Program
This information is for McMaster students in another program who are interested in transferring to the first year of the business program (Business I).
The Business I program can only accept a limited number of students each year. Applications will only be assessed if all the requirements for your desired program selection have been completed. If you do not currently meet the requirements to internally transfer, you may complete any outstanding requirements in the Spring/Summer term. You are also permitted to repeat or updated coursework in Spring/Summer term to meet the requirements for transfer.
To be considered, you must meet the following criteria.
- You must have completed 24 – 30 units during the fall and winter semesters (September to April). Spring/Summer courses or courses completed on a Letter of Permission are accepted.
- Your cumulative GPA must be at least a minimum of 6.0 (C+) which will include all credits completed to date. Attainment of a cumulative GPA of 6.0 (C+) does not guarantee internal transfer.
- If you have completed the equivalent of the Business I program, you must apply for consideration to transfer into second year (Honours Commerce).
You must have completed the following courses:
- Ontario High School Advanced Functions (MHF4U, or the equivalent).
- If you did not receive credit in Ontario High School Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U, or the equivalent), you must have credit in Math 1F03 or Math 1K03 (with a grade of at least B-).
We will accept transfers for students who submitted a P/NC Grade Change for any of the above completed courses.
High School math courses can be completed at McMaster or through an online virtual High School:
Any student choosing this option or any course work completed outside of McMaster on a Letter of Permission (LOP) must submit an official transcript to the Student Experience Office (DSB 112) or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, August 7, 2020. Applications will not be assessed until all requirements are met.
If you do not qualify for a transfer, you may want to consider a Minor in Business. The Academic Advisors for your current program should be able to help you if you decide to pursue this option.
If you are currently registered in another McMaster program, you can apply for an internal transfer in Mosaic during Program Selection in April. You must select “Business I” as one of the programs to which you’d like to transfer.
To find the Program Selection Tool in Mosaic search Student Centre > My Academics > Program/Plan/Subplan Selection.
The deadline to apply for a transfer from another McMaster program is April 30, 2020. If you are applying from MELD, or a level 2 or 3 McMaster program, or if the program selection tool is not available to you, you must submit a hard copy Program Application Form to DSB 112.
You will be notified of our decision on your grade report at the beginning of June.
If your transfer to Business I is accepted, you may be eligible for up to 12 units of transfer credit (maximum).