Transfer to First Year from Another McMaster Program for entry in September 2021
This information is for McMaster students in another program who are interested in transferring to the first year of the business program (Business I).
The Business I program can only accept a limited number of students each year. Applications will only be assessed if all the requirements for your desired program selection have been completed. If you do not currently meet the requirements to internally transfer, you may complete any outstanding requirements in the Spring/Summer term. You are also permitted to repeat or upgrade coursework in Spring/Summer term to meet the requirements for transfer.
To be considered, you must meet the following criteria.
- You must have completed 24 – 30 units during the fall and winter semesters (September to April). Spring/Summer courses or courses completed on a Letter of Permission are accepted.
- Your cumulative GPA must be at least a minimum of 6.0 (C+) which will include all credits completed to date. Attainment of a cumulative GPA of 6.0 (C+) does not guarantee internal transfer.
- If you have completed the equivalent of the Business I program, you must apply for consideration to transfer into second year (Honours Commerce).
You must have completed the following courses:
- Ontario High School Advanced Functions (MHF4U, or the equivalent)
- We will accept McMaster’s Math 1K03.
- Ontario High School Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U, or the equivalent)
- We will accept McMaster’s Math 1F03.
We will accept transfers for students who submitted a P/NC Grade Change for any of the above completed courses.
High School math courses can be completed at McMaster or through an online virtual High School:
Any student choosing this option or any course work completed outside of McMaster on a Letter of Permission (LOP) must submit an official transcript to the Student Experience Office by email to email@example.com no later than Friday, August 6, 2021. Applications will not be assessed until all requirements are met.
If you do not qualify for a transfer, please consider a Minor in Business. The Academic Advisors for your current program should be able to help you if you decide to pursue this option.
Current Undergraduate Students
If you are currently registered in another McMaster program, you can apply for an internal transfer in Mosaic during Program Selection in April. You must select “Business Degree Seeking” as one of the programs to which you’d like to transfer.
To find the Program Selection Tool in Mosaic search Student Centre > My Academics > Program/Plan/Subplan Selection.
Current MELD Students
MELD students can also apply for transfer to Business I. To be considered, you must meet the following criteria:
- Your GPA on six (6) units of Linguistics must be at least a minimum of 6.0 (C+)
- You must have met the Ontario High School admission average for the 2020/21 session, which was 84.5%.
You must have completed the following High School credits:
- Ontario High School Advanced Functions (MHF4U, or the equivalent).
- Ontario High School Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U, or the equivalent).
The deadline to apply for a transfer from another McMaster program is April 30, 2021. If you are applying from MELD, or a level 2 or 3 McMaster program, or if the program selection tool is not available to you, you must submit a hard copy Program Application Form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will be notified of our decision on your grade report at the beginning of June.
If your transfer to Business I is accepted, you may be eligible for up to 30 units of transfer credit (maximum).