Registration and Enrollment
Meeting the Requirements
Enrolling for courses is done on McMaster’s online registration system in Mosaic, but before you begin, take the time to plan.
It’s your responsibility to make sure that you’re meeting all of the program requirements. The online registration system doesn’t automatically check this for you, and unfortunately each year there are a few students who don’t graduate on time because they haven’t met all the necessary criteria.
Choosing Your Courses
The Undergraduate Calendar outlines the course requirements for each level of the program. Read through the notes for your level carefully, and let one of our Academic Advisors know if you have any questions.
When choosing your courses, follow the sequence laid out in the calendar.
Make sure you pay attention to course pre-requisites. Also, when considering courses from other departments, read the notes at the beginning of that section of the calendar. Sometimes there are general restrictions you need to know (for instance, some Kinesiology courses are only available to Kinesiology students).
In general, 30 units is a normal course load. It’s important to balance your semesters so that you take 15 units in the fall semester and 15 in the winter semester.
To be a full-time student you need to be taking at least 9 units in each Fall/Winter term, but remember that you’ll still need to meet the specific requirements for each level of the program. Also, be aware of the requirements for programs such as the Deans’ Honour List and varsity sports.
In some cases, it may be possible to overload (take an extra course). If you have questions about this please contact an Academic Advisor.
- Specific Notes for Level 1
- Specific Notes for Level 2
- Specific Notes for Level 3
- Specific Notes for Level 4
Also, when choosing electives, check out these tips for choosing non-commerce electives.
You enroll for courses using McMaster’s online registration system in Mosaic. You can find Mosaic by logging into the McMaster student portal using your MacID.
You also use Mosaic to arrange payment for your courses. You need to do this to finalize your enrollment.
The Office of the Registrar has provided a registration guide.
Pay particular attention to the enrollment schedule. It will let you know when you can start enrolling and how long the enrollment period will be open.
Checking Your Registration/Enrollment
Whenever you enroll for a session or update your enrollment, check your Academic Advisement Report to make sure you’re meeting the requirements for the program. You can check your report by logging into Mosaic.
If you’re having difficulty or a problem shows up on your Advisement report, contact an Academic Advisor for help.
- If you are on an internship and have enrollment questions you can also contact email@example.com.
- If you are a returning exchange student and your final transcript hasn’t been received from your partner university, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Remember that you can only take a maximum of 48 units from Level 1 during the course of the four-year program.
- In general, commerce electives cannot be substituted for non-commerce electives. You need to meet the requirements for both kinds of courses.
- If you’re interested in enrolling in courses for the spring/summer term at McMaster University, please see the Summer School FAQ sheet for additional information.
- If you’re interested in taking a summer course at another university for credit in the program please read the information about letters of permission.