Our innovative approach to business education and training begins in the classroom, where you learn the fundamentals. However, after completing the third year of the program, you can choose to enhance your education by doing an internship.
An internship gives you the unique opportunity to develop hands-on experience with an employer during a 12 to 16 month work term.
The internship program was created in 1994. It supports our focus on experiential learning by enhancing your classroom education with a real-world, paid opportunity in the business community.
To participate in the internship program, you must:
- Be a full-time student enrolled in Level 3
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 7.0 after Level 2
- Have successfully completed the Career Development Course (Commerce 2IN0). More information about Commerce 2IN0 can be found below.
- Successfully be admitted into the program through an application and interview process.
- Return from your internship with a minimum 18 units left to complete towards your degree.
DeGroote students who are going out on exchange are still eligible to participate in the internship program.
Students apply to the BCom with Internship or IBH with Internship degree program in the summer following Level 2 and search for an internship throughout Level 3 academic year with the support of the Career & Professional Development team. Internships begin anytime between May and September following your third year of studies.
The BCom with Internship or IBH with Internship extends your degree program by one year. Students graduate in five years instead of four, but the return on investment in terms of professional development and experience is invaluable.
Career Development Course (Commerce 2IN0)
This career development course is designed to equip students with the tools necessary to successfully participate in summer, internship and full-time job searches. Delivered by the Career and Professional Development team and supported by Career Peer Mentors, this workshop-based course covers a variety of topics, including:
- Self-assessment and skill identification
- Cover letter and resume preparation
- Interview skills
- Job search strategies and networking
- Professionalism and etiquette
Application to participate in the BCom with Internship / IBH with Internship degree program opens in the Spring. Instructions and further information will be sent to those that have successfully completed 2IN0 and will be entering Level 3 in the fall.